Friday, May 22, 2015

ThreeSight VR Introduction

My name is Brad Burnett and I have been on the quest for presence since 1993. Though I studied Robotics Engineering in school, I spent my career developing scientific software and Head Mounted Display design. My first company was VRontier Worlds and my first product was the Tier 1. I contributed to the book Adventures in Virtual Reality, wrote in VR publications and my research has been covered in other publications. I traveled to many of the early shows and spoke to many groups. I am thrilled to see the resurgent interest in VR and this time it has cracked the national consciousness in the form of  "every mans VR".

ThreeSight VR is a company that we made to bring my Virtual Reality technologies into the industry (again). We are currently going through the process to file several patents and have a small rapid production shop (think of it as a VR maker shop: Optics development, laser cutter, 3D printing, vacuum former and a plastic bender among other things).

Our VR industry application passion is VR for Education as opposed to gaming. We have been doing a lot of research on EdTech publications and talking to teachers to create a path for future, personalized education and those with special needs.

We are busy preparing our fist Mobile VR product and it is very important to us that it have a unique value apart from all the plastic Cardboard clones. The purpose of this blog is to try to clear up a lot of the misunderstandings about VR Viewers and the necessary considerations for developing successful applications. I see the "expert" VR companies have their chief technologist anchored in how to make excellent virtual experiences... for the monitor :( We need to have some early discussions that start the human condition, what is this elusive "presence" and what role does visual immersion play into it?

I want to keep this introduction very brief and subsequent posts focused, so I will leave you now with this thought: "VR is a system of tools to interface people to the environment medium, to the degree of experiencing a sense presence. VR is NOT defined as the technology flavor of the day. Approaching a sustainable presence platform is a vision to always aspire toward rather than a check box. A quest to unlock a deep functional understanding of what it means to be a conscious, perceptive and soulful creature.

No comments:

Post a Comment